Open to All.

Moderator: Mark

Greg
Are you directly related to a Rosson?: Yes
How Long have you been doing Genealogy Research? (Years): 0
Which Rosson are you researching?: John Rosson Sr of NC and descendents

The fate of Joseph Rosson, son of John Cummins Rosson Jr

Post by Greg »

One of my burning questions has been what happened to Joseph Rosson, son of John Cummins Rosson Jr. He is mentioned in his father's will, but doesn't appear in the area afterwards. With a common name like Joseph and no clear birth date (I got 1804 from a chatham county website I can't find right now, but I don't know where they got that from), so it's difficult to make a convincing connection to anyone beyond Marshall County. Anyhow, I think I found out what happened to him.

There are two Joseph Rossons in Marshall County, TN in the 1830s: Joseph O Rosson, son of John C Rosson Sr and Joseph Rosson, son of John C Rosson Jr (Joseph O's nephew). On 7 Oct 1839, Joseph Alexander Rosson, minor orphan of Joseph Rosson is placed into the guardianship of Andrew Laird. Joseph O Rosson died the previous year and his heirs were also placed into the guardianship of Andrew Laird. However, no mention is made of a Joseph Alexander Rosson at that time, and Joseph O Rosson's widow Rebecca is still alive, meaning his heirs are NOT orphans. It thus appears that Joseph Alexander Rosson is the son of Joseph Rosson, son of John C Rosson Jr.

Comments?
==
Greg

Greg

Re: The fate of Joseph Rosson, son of John Cummins Rosson Jr

Post by Greg »

I'm beginning to rethink this.

Andrew Laird was the guardian for all of Joseph Osborn's minor heirs, whereas all of Henry B Rosson's minor heirs were placed into the guardianship of William H Rosson. Why would Joseph Rosson's son not also be placed into his uncle's guardianship? Why would he be placed in the care of Andrew Laird like a different branch of the family? Although, I believe Andrew Laird was the justice of the peace for the county, so it doesn't seem too far fetched that he would have his fingers in a lot of different affairs.

In addition to this argument, in the 1850 census, there is a 46 year old Rebecca Rosson living in district 10 of Marshall County with an 11 year old Joseph Rosson. This district is the same one where Samuel, son of J O Rosson, lives. William H, however, lives in subdivision 53. Question: How can I find out where these enumeration districts were?

It looks like Rebecca Rosson in the 1850 census is J O's widow. Since she is so much younger than he was[1], she has to be a second wife. I have their marriage from here http://www.chathamhistory.net/genealogy ... 78&tree=01 as 1819. Questions: Is there any hard source for this (or his birth year for that matter)? Furthermore, could the marriage record for Joseph to Mary McMasters (Chatham Co, NC) be attributable to J O and not Joseph son of John C Jr (as I have seen)? Is Joseph Alexander Rosson who was placed in Andrew Laird's guarianship the same Joseph Rosson living with Rebecca Rosson in the 1850 census? Or is it really the grandson of John C Jr living with yet another wife of a Rosson named Rebecca[2]?

Is there a possibility I am missing?

[1]>45 in 1820, 40-49 in 1830 - I assume the enumerator meant 50-59 - both censuses from Bedford Co
[2]J O married Rebecca Patterson, his son Osman married Rebecca Patton.
==
Greg

Greg

Post by Greg »

Rebecca Rosson is present in the 1840 census living with 1 male under 5, 1 female 10-14, and one female 15-19. This seems to match up with Joseph Alexander Rosson, Mary B Rosson, and Elizabeth M Rosson. Her entry is immediately followed by Andrew Rosson, her son. However, as I said above:
On 7 Oct 1839, Joseph Alexander Rosson, minor orphan of Joseph Rosson is placed into the guardianship of Andrew Laird. Joseph O Rosson died the previous year and his heirs were also placed into the guardianship of Andrew Laird. However, no mention is made of a Joseph Alexander Rosson at that time, and Joseph O Rosson's widow Rebecca is still alive, meaning his heirs are NOT orphans.
  • Could the use of "orphan" simply have meant without a father rather than without parents?
  • Why wasn't Joseph Alexander put into guardianship at the same time as his (now) presumptive sisters?
  • Why wasn't he mentioned in the will?
  • How likely is it that J O would be able to father a child in his 60s?
==
Greg

Bevh
How Long have you been doing Genealogy Research? (Years): 1
Which Rosson are you researching?: James Edward Rosson

Post by Bevh »

Hi
This is my first post. I descend from John Cummings Rosson, then Abner (1765-1841) who was married to Fanny Progue. His son was Joseph Rosson. He was born in 1791 in Orange Co, TN and died in 1859 in Jackson Co., AL and was married to Elizabeth Riddle. One of their sons was James Monroe Rosson (born 1822 - Franklin Co, TN and died 1904 in Jackson Co., AL). He was my great grandfather. It appears that my Joseph Rosson raised his family in AL. :D :roll: :D

My mystery man is my grandfather, James Edward Rosson (born 1857 - Jackson Co, AL and died in 1934 San Francisco, CA). He ended up in San Francisco, CA possibly around 1910. He married my grandmother when he was in his 50s (she was in her early 20s). I find him in the 1880 census in AL, but there is a 30 year gap. Did he have another family? Why did he go to CA? My mother was put in an orphanage so I only knew her parent's names. Thanks to Ancestry.com, I found lots of ancestor info, but I would like some info coming forward too.

There was a post on one website I saw that a lady in Jackson Co, AL had a picture of James Monroe Rosson. Boy, would I love to see that since I have never seen a picture of any of the Rossons I'm related to. So, if you read this, would love to see that picture.

If anyone has any info, it would be greatly appreciated!
Bev