Poll Question

Open to All.

Moderator: Mark

Where do you think the Rosson Surname Came from?

England
58%
France
6%
Germany
3%
Scotland
26%
Other
6%

Total votes: 31

Mark
Researcher
Are you directly related to a Rosson?: No
How Long have you been doing Genealogy Research? (Years): 14
Which Rosson are you researching?: John J. Rosson

Poll Question

Post by Mark »

Just looking for what everyone thinks..

cmmawyer
How Long have you been doing Genealogy Research? (Years): 0

Post by cmmawyer »

I understand that "The Church of Jesus Christ and the Latter Day Saints" has on microfilm "The Rosson Story" by S. Jackson. In it the writer states that the Rosson family descend from James and Robert Rosson who migrated to America from Scotland in the year 1636. They first come to Eastern Virginia and later settled in Culpeper Co. What do you think?

Mark
Researcher
Are you directly related to a Rosson?: No
How Long have you been doing Genealogy Research? (Years): 14
Which Rosson are you researching?: John J. Rosson

Post by Mark »

as one of those little things i picked up along time ago, i have a printed copy of that...

the problem is that This is vague on facts.... if you skip that paragraph no where else, does it mention those 2 Rosson's. Then it skips down to Jesse Rosson talks about Revolutionary War documents in Ky Jan 7 1845.

I Personally have documents with 1823, for Randolph Co., NC and Specifically has 2 Rosson's on it. and 1840 in Tn.

Without looking at my database for reference. Im pretty sure the oldest documented in William Rosson that is in Culpepper Co., Va. around 1690 (not looking at specific)

but if all you use this for is a place to start looking, then it does a good thing. and i'll state since i have been doing this. what i finally have come to understand, is that, with out the source documents to prove and backup. any statement. i use everything i find, only as a suggestion and a place to look. but i Never take it as 100% true. that even goes for everything here. Always verify even if they post all sources, you should always double check..

Mark

Mark

RobinRitaRosson

More ROSSON names

Post by RobinRitaRosson »

George B. Rosson wife Evelyn J Coleman Must of been in the 40"s they met in Culpepper I believe... 4 Children Steve, Michael, Brenda and Robin.
Grandchildren, Timothy, Shannon,Mathew , Angie, Mike, Jimmy, Joey, Casey, Heather , Joshua, Christopher, Anthony, Richard and Michelle.
Brother of George ..." Fee Rosson" married Lucille had 2 children George and Bobby.. George had 3 children Chuck, Brenna and Amber.
Also believe there was a sister of Fee and George," Gene' Who died very young of cancer.

JoanK
Are you directly related to a Rosson?: Yes
How Long have you been doing Genealogy Research? (Years): 9
Which Rosson are you researching?: Francis Wycliffe Rosson and Jesse Rosson

The Rosson Story by S. Jackson + Jesse Rosson/Rev. War Doc.

Post by JoanK »

Mark,
I just noticed the postings about The Rosson Story by S. Jackson in which you also mention Jesse Rosson commentary on Revolutionary War documents in Kentucky in 1945. Where can I get a copy of both The Rosson Story and Jesse Rosson's commentary? This may be my Jesse Rosson/gg grandfather.
JoanK

ghr
How Long have you been doing Genealogy Research? (Years): 0

Rosson surname

Post by ghr »

Hi,
my name is George Rosson and currently live in Germany. I recently read a book stating specifically that the Rosson name has Danish (or Scandinavian) origins. Apparently its meaning is the same as the English names Stephenson, Wilkinson, Johnson, etc. (Scandinavian: Johannson, etc. ), that is "son of Ross". It could date back to the times of the early Danish/Swedish/Norwegian invasions of England between the years 550 and 650 a.D., but this is purely my speculation as I am only just beginning to investigate my ancestry.

Cheers

George