national origin of Rosson

Open to All.

Moderator: Mark

alioth

national origin of Rosson

Post by alioth »

I am brand new to this site, having found it while trying to research my ancestors. My great grandmother was named Rosson, Rosin, or something like that. Little else is known of her except that she was a "Belfast Orangewoman", born in Belfast in the 19th century and came to the US and settled down here. I have been unable to find out anything about the name Rosson until today. So glad to have found your site :D ! I would like to know what nationality Rosson is - I see you have a poll about the origins, which suggests to me that it may not be a clear cut issue. Does anyone know what the consensus is about the national origin of this name? I am 1/8th Rosson and would like to know more about them. I have tried in the past to find an origin for it - usually I came up with Scandanavian or German origins, probably cause it was often spelled Rossen, Rosen, Rosson, etc. Can anyone help me solve this family mystery? I would greatly appreciate any and all info you could give me :D

coco

Re: national origin of Rosson

Post by coco »

Hello, this is very interesting as I have been researching my great great grandmother's line who is ROSSON for some time now. On her marraige certficate and census list she is always listed as irish and indeed married there. I have been unable to find a link to ireland and you are the first person whom I have seen on the message boards that has a link to ireland with the name ROSSON. I am from the UK and we do have old letters from the 1930s from John and Jane ROSSON who lived in Woodcliff Lake, Bergen County who we presume was gg grandmother's sister in law and brother. My grandmother 's name was ANNA MARIA ROSSON BORN 1863 . Her father is down as Thomas ROSSON. Anna married my grandfather in 1881 which is the same year Jane Rosson emigrated to America !

alioth

Post by alioth »

Although she was born in Ireland (actually Northern Ireland in Belfast), she was not of Irish nationality. She is listed as a "Belfast Orangewoman", which means she is the descendant of settlers who came to Ireland after Ireland was defeated by Cromwell. I am guessing she is possibly of Scots and/or English origin, with a distinct possiblity that she is of Scandanavian/Germanic origin (Rosson is similar to the Scandanavian names that end in -son or -sen). Any info on your ancestors' nationality? Any background information would be helpful.

coco

Post by coco »

Thank you for replying. Your post indeed makes the most sense that she is listed as irish nationality but not actually irish. As I said my link to Ameriuca is Jane Rosson who we have christmas cards from. The only other thing I know about the Rosson name is that the orgins in England are from Cheshire which you might already know about. I am also looking at the hugenaut origins of this name . What else would you like to know ?

alioth

Post by alioth »

Any info at all that you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I never heard of a Huegonot origin for Rosson, where did you hear this? Also wanted to know what you thought of the Scandanavian/German origin of the name? Whenever I try to look up Rosson, I usually get nothing, but it directs me to Rosin, Rosen, Rossin, Rossen, etc., which are usually identified as having a Scandanavian, Germanic or even Jewish origin. Any thoughts on this?

alioth

Post by alioth »

I just discovered a Thomas Rosson, born in Ireland, who is the father of Eliza Rosson, who are respectively my great, great grandfather and my great grandmother. Could this be the same as your Thomas Rosson and his daughter, Eliza's sister? Please let me know, as this has piqued my interest greatly.