Culpeper VA Rossons

Open to All.

Moderator: Mark

mwebb

Culpeper VA Rossons

Post by mwebb »

Hello Rosson Researchers! I have just joined and was wondering if anyone is researching the family of James William Rosson and Permelia Harrison Shadrack. I'm glad to see the Rosson House link. My husband's great grandmother Mary Frances Rosson (dau of James and Permelia above) came out to Phoenix to see her brother Roland Rosson (of Rosson House in Phoenix AZ) Mary Frances told a story that they used to dress Roland as a girl during the Civil War. Supposedly the Rosson farm was near Cedar Mountain. I've seen the historical marker of the battle outside of Culpeper and we think that may be near the farm.

I have James William Rosson b. 21 Sept 1817 in Madison Co VA and died 7 Apr 1871 I believe in Culpeper. He married Permelia Harrison SHADRACH (dau. of Samuel Shadrack and Frances Garr) on 8 FEB 1847. Permelia was born 5 Oct 1826 and died 19 Jul 1902. She is buried in Huntington WV. Their children were 1. Mary Frances Rosson (m. James McClung) (2) Roland Lee Rosson (Flora Murray) (3) Nellie Elizabeth Rosson (m. James Shott)and (4) Phillpa Rosson(Russell Yowell).

I would like to know how all the Culpeper Rossons are related? Thanks!
mwebb

Mark
Researcher
Are you directly related to a Rosson?: No
How Long have you been doing Genealogy Research? (Years): 14
Which Rosson are you researching?: John J. Rosson

Post by Mark »

95% of the Rossons are decendent from the Culpepper Rosson's

This is some of what i have...

William Rosson Married Michell Pasquet
Jerome Rosson Married Rachel Abbott
William Rosson Married Lucy ???
Oliver Nimrod Rosson Married Elizabeth Frances Colvin on 15 Jan 1824 in Culpepper Co., Virginia
James W. Rosson Married Pamelia M. Shadrach on 08 Feb 1849 in Culpepper Co., Virginia

ok Thats basically how your branch goes upward. one of Williams children Joseph is basically where the North Carolina and Some Tennessee Descendents come from.

Mark

mwebb

Culpeper Rossons

Post by mwebb »

Thanks Mark! Has anyone written a Rosson Genealogy? I've seen Nancy Lewis' website: http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/us ... -0001.html

There sure are quite a few Rossons!

Next time I come to VA, I've got to get to the library and look for the land records/maps etc.

Margery
mwebb

Mark
Researcher

Post by Mark »

I did hear a few years ago, that someone was writing a book, but i have no knowledge that it was ever published. That might be a partial listing.

I recieved my copy of that data about 5+ years ago from Vicki Knarr (who i haven't heard from in a few years)(E-mail me if you see this Vicki) who did alot of compiling. I have focused on my direct line. John J Rosson and his descendents and i'm actually planning on doing a book about them. I have started but still have lots of work to do to ensure it looks good.

I have gathered other details, from other spots here and there but i havent published my entire database online, i might but i Personally think people should have help, because my information may not be right. but its a starting point. I personally have about 688 Rosson in my File and 153 of them are Directly related to me as descendents of John J Rosson (this covers 8 Generations). There was only 1 other branch i know alot about but they are living close to my branch about (40 there).

If you go to Culpepper, you should also look in the surrouding counties. most of them came from Culpepper at one point in time around 1750.

http://www.antientpress.com/ has some books for the virginia area. I did have a list of Rosson from their books, but i cannot locate it.... but you can ask to see if they will provide that for you. it can save you some time for your next trip.

Mark

JMR
How Long have you been doing Genealogy Research? (Years): 0
Which Rosson are you researching?: John Thomas Rosson

Re: Culpeper VA Rossons

Post by JMR »

I have missed the boat. I wasnt able to trace up, so I started at the top and tried to work down. I have some old paperwork and the only clue says that my GG G/F probably came from NC. From my family names I would guess on which branch is mine.

My Tree
GG G/F "Probably from NC"
G G/F John Thomas 1844-1922 married Panantha Ann Lawson (2nd wife late in life) (had a brother named Ligh, sister Susan 'Zuk', sister Sallie.
G/F J.T. 1910-1993
Dad Billy Brice 1934-Present
Jay Marl 1963-Present (me)

Guessing what my Tree is; Only because of the names, but it doesnt catch my clue for "from NC".

William Rosson 1690-AFT 1747
Joseph Rosson - Born: ABT 1720 in Lancaster,VA
Thomas Rosson - Born: 1742 in Orange,VA
John Rosson - his children -
1. Elizabeth Rosson
2. Sampson Rosson, b. 17 APR 1807 in Robertson County,TN………
3. Jane Rosson, b. 15 DEC 1808 in TN
4. Susan Rosson, b. 1810 in Port Royal,TN
5. Nancy Rosson, b. 14 OCT 1810 in Robertson County,TN
6. Lucinda Rosson
7. John Rosson, b. 16 DEC 1818………..
8. William Rosson, b. 1820 in TN
9. Thomas J. Rosson
10. Sally Rosson
11. Mary Rosson, b. APR 1824 in Robertson County,TN
12. James S. Rosson, b. 1823 - Married Mar 3 1847

Any help would be appreciated.

Jay

Mark
Researcher

Re: Culpeper VA Rossons

Post by Mark »

you need to find your John Thomas on the 1850 census from the dates you gave he should be a child...
That should get oyu back 1 more generation...

if you think North Carolina, Look Around Chatham County NC...
my John J. Rosson was from there but left around 1830-1840

suggest you start with 1920 census, and work your way back to 1850... they typically didnt move back then.. so you should be able to work back..

Once you hit 1850 anything before that the Census will give you some info but not enough to say 100%

if you have trouble finding on any 1 census, skip to previous, see if they show up..
if they show up, go back, and look for misspelled last name Rosson - Rosin, Rawson, Basson (Yes I have seen that)

Mark

joyrog
How Long have you been doing Genealogy Research? (Years): 1
Which Rosson are you researching?: Ira

Re:

Post by joyrog »

Mark wrote:95% of the Rossons are decendent from the Culpepper Rosson's
I am from the william rosson family are you still reading these if you are write to me at joyrog@hughes.net
:)
This is some of what i have...

William Rosson Married Michell Pasquet
Jerome Rosson Married Rachel Abbott
William Rosson Married Lucy ???
Oliver Nimrod Rosson Married Elizabeth Frances Colvin on 15 Jan 1824 in Culpepper Co., Virginia
James W. Rosson Married Pamelia M. Shadrach on 08 Feb 1849 in Culpepper Co., Virginia

ok Thats basically how your branch goes upward. one of Williams children Joseph is basically where the North Carolina and Some Tennessee Descendents come from.

Mark